Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Cycling

Transporting a holiday wreath I scored at a volunteer gig

Gainesville is turning out to be a pretty good place to ride a bike. When I packed up my life in my car, I brought two hobbies with me - sewing and bicycling. Sewing is my creative activity, and bicycling is both exercise and transportation. I am able to bike a lot here. The city has made a major effort to have lots of bicycle lanes, and any city with a university has students on bikes and mopeds. Don't get me wrong, this is not Amsterdam. But I can pedal almost anywhere in about thirty minutes and can usually find a not very busy road to get me there. I've even found a bicycling group that takes a weekly ride. They are a perfect fit, because all the other members are 25 years older than me so they actually go a speed that I can keep up with.

A surprise lake along the one excellent recreational path.

Many things are changing in my life (and will be changing even more when I switch countries), so it´s nice that there are some things that still feel the same.

2 comments:

de-I said...

Hmmm change, the ever-present constant

alexis said...

I can't get over how green it still is there in Florida! We need to catch up sometime cousin!!