Sunday, January 08, 2023

Visitors

I hear that if you move to a trendy vacation spot, all your friends and family will visit you. I think they mean places like Aspen and Hawaii, but it turns out to be true for Gainesville too. As a result of recent visits, I can now tell you the hot spots all tourists must visit. The three best:
  •  A sinkhole. For real - you can see lots of geology and nature at the Devil´s Millhopper state park. but I like just telling people that they are going to a sinkhole. 
  • Repurpose Project, my favorite thrift store. It´s like a giant garage sale and sells everything - broken bicycles, dinner plates for 25c,  and half used rolls of wrapping paper. Anything that they think someone will use, so that it won´t end up in a landfill.
  • Satchel´s pizza, known for it´s artistic flair and homemade sodas. They have bunting made with hair curlers and no wall is left un-mosaiced. 
It was cold when my parents visited for Christmas but still warmer than the rest of the country, so we didn´t complain. 
The cold was so unusual that everyone wrapped their poor little tropical plants in blankets. 
My friends L and CA visited from DC on their way to a financial workshop. They enjoyed the sinkhole, but were more impressed by the alligator we saw on the University of Florida campus. 
I expect to be here for a few more months as I work through all the paperwork needed for the visa application. So act soon if you, too, want the Gainesville tour! VIP tours include the world´s biggest bat house and a1924 manually-operated elevator.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Thrilled to know you better RM.And there’s more to see in GNV and surrounding areas.Cedar Key ,for instance and the many springs around.You have got to float down the Icchetucknee when it’s a bit warmer.Get your bathing suit out of mothballs!

de-I said...

Sinkhole AND the world's biggest bat house? Hard to pass those up.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Susan, I saw one of the springs and I agree they are lovely. I am glad I am getting the chance to see Gainesville!

A's Mum said...

If there is an American Tourist Board, they should be proud of the work you are doing.

alexis said...

oh man you have actually talked me into visiting