Sunday, December 24, 2023

A break

Two and a half weeks ago, I finished my final exam for Spanish class, packed my bags and headed to the US for a break. And it has been a glorious break. I would describe coming back to an English language environment as slipping into a warm bath. I continue to revel in how easy life is when you can communicate clearly. And I turned off all the Spanish, deleting podcasts I should be listening to and ignoring all my flashcard reminders. That will all be waiting for me when I return.

In addition to taking a break from learning, I immersed myself in my friends' lives. I know that I will eventually make deep friendships in Madrid, but it is truly delightful to just bask in time together with friends I've known for years. DC has a high concentration of such people, so I headed there first. (Sorry to any DC people I couldn't missed - my time was so short!)

My best friend M and I met in Philadelphia, halfway between our respective locations, for s day trip. I am maybe 2" taller than her, and minimal height distances make for excellent hugging opportunities. Our big adventure was hearing a free organ concert at a downtown department store. Apparently this was the thing shoppers enjoyed a century ago.

Culture shock hit in a few ways, although mostly good ones. With this photo I am marveling at the size and selection of the grocery stores. I also forgot how great it is that Americans talk to strangers. Less good is the way we try to eat our meals as fast as humanly possible.
My friends N and S were kind enough to store my bicycle in their basement, which let me get in lots of riding. It turns out I still love bicycle riding, and hopefully I can finally get a bike sorted in Spain next month.
And of course it's not quality time with friends if you don't do construction projects. 
My friend E made me a cheese souffle! There is no better demonstration of friendship, in my opinion.

My friendship cup runneth over. 

2 comments:

de-I said...

That's awesome dear. Continue to recharge the batteries for the ongoing adventure of acclimatization.

alexis said...

omg cheese soufflé is truly the deepest token of friendship. I LOVE cheese soufflé. I feel like I need to make one for myself, to celebrate my friendship with er, myself.