Thursday, July 27, 2006

A House and Forty Acres to Call Their Own

This news isn't particuarly related to style, but it is certainly worthy of a post. After a mere ten years of househunting, my parents have bought a house! This has to be some kind of shopping record. For one third of my life, they have been looking at houses, talking to architects, looking at more houses, and sending very nice real estate ladies into conniptions.

I have posted a photo of the house, which they will close on in the next month or so. Already friends of the family are making plans to get pregnant, flee the country, or be incarcerated - anything so they don't have to help my parents move the six cars, dozen or so motorcyles, and tons (literally) of machinery that my father has collected since we last moved twenty years ago. Run for your lives!

4 comments:

alexis said...

holy crap! Congradulations to your folks. I feel safe in doing so, since I have half a continent and the Atlantic ocean protecting me from them and their move.

Anonymous said...

Omigod! I just found out about your blog via the comment you left on Lexi's. Who knew the first post I saw would be so dramatic?
I seriously thought your parents would never leave that house. So the pics don't show it but where is the barn/shop/what-have you?

Anonymous said...

The shop is quite impressive. My father first lamented that it was only 40' by 40', which, I would point out, is larger than many houses. He was then happy to discover that there is a lean-to on the side, adding an additional 20' by 40' of storage space. This, I am informed, is enough to "get by on" until they get settled, and can presumably build a settlement of barns.

I will post more pictures when they move in, although that may be a few months, as they are still closing.

Anonymous said...

tee hee. that's hilarious. I'll have to call them to say congrats.