Monday, December 10, 2007

The long and short (ahem) of it

I think I baked about 24 dozen cookies this weekend. I'm only estimating, you understand, because I quit counting after a while. But I baked a lot, that's my point. And every time I spend much time in my kitchen, I'm reminded of my dream that someday I'll have a kitchen that fits me. I'm a rather short person. I like to think that I'm exactly the right size, because that's what it feels like to me, but (alas) the rest of the world seems to be built for someone larger.

And this leads to my dream of a kitchen where the counters are the perfect height, instead of four inches too high. I've spent some time thinking about how to accomplish this, and because I don't think I would want to permanently alter the kitchen, I've considered installing fake floors up to the point where the cabinet doors open. This will have to wait until I'm planning to stay in a apartment more that a year or two, but it's nice to dream.

6 comments:

Bernice said...

Does Andrew know that you have a dream of him building a floor?

Anonymous said...

I bet Andrew would be happy to raise the floor, because then he wouldn't fit in the kitchen any more.

Anonymous said...

There are actually counters that are designed to be raised and lowered. They are supposed to be for people with disabilities such as those who are wheel chair bound. But I don't see why they couldn't be used by people who are 'right' sized but living in an over sized world.

alexis said...

need to start wearing 4 inch heels

stef said...

Alexis- ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Economical and environmentally friendly solution - two empty bean cans, inverted, and with holes drilled either side to accommodate string. Stand on the upturned cans and secure them to your feet with the string. Practise keeping your balance and when you feel secure you will find your work surfaces are at the correct height - more or less!