Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Vegge Tale

Much feasting and fraternizing has taken place in the last two weeks, as Styling with Renee Michelle has taken her annual Christmas pilgrimage to the Midwest. We've been sampling the local cuisine. One night at dinner I was rather in the mood for some veggies, so I ordered a salad. (I need to insert a disclaimer here, at the request of my sister-in-law: some Midwestern food is quite nice. And she's right. It's just not as fun to talk about.)

When the salad arrived, I laughed out loud. The vitamins had fled in terror, leaving only iceberg lettuce, mozzarella, and ranch dressing. (Shown in its full monochrome beauty below.)


When we got home, Andrew comforted me by making me a crunchy, flavanoid-filled salad, with homemade vinaigrette.

And my taste buds rejoiced.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also had the grave horror of ordering a salad in the deep Midwest (Iowa in this case this year). After ordering a chef's salad that had lettuce, a few micro cubes of tomato (I'm not even sure how they could cut them that small), some carrot shavings and and perfunctory cucumber slice, I figured I might as well get cheeseburgers.

alexis said...

this is so spot on Michelle. But what the midwest lacks in vegetables in makes up for in abundance of lawn tractors.

Tim said...

Well, of course... in picture #2 the lighting is SO much better. Of course that will look appetizing. It has nothing at all to do with the ingredients in it. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Tim just try to make any monochromatic dish better by just "improving the lighting"!