Friday, December 07, 2007

Luminosity

I've been busy getting into the Christmas spirit. I think I'm done with my Christmas shopping, which was facilitated by the realization that Amazon ships directly to Australia (where I have several godchildren), allowing me to skip the tedious line at the Post Office. Another thing that helped is that my whole family not only provides wish lists, we combine them with appropriate links on a Google spreadsheet, so that shopping becomes a point and click exercise. I love the digital age.

While I've been hanging tasteful snowflakes inside the house, our landlord has been busy festooning the outside of the house with riotous lights. Each day he adds one more string, and every day it's a new kind of light. The first day, there were multicolored lights twined around the top porch railing. The next day, red rope light appeared, to be followed by white icicles, pastel colored globes on the bush, and a different color on the next bush.
Here's a photo, although I don't think it truly captures the tumultuousness of the scene. While I'm not sure I can give this the Styling with Renee Michelle Seal of Approval, it does make me laugh every time I come home at night. I appreciate his desire for cheeriness and festivity, even if the lights do make my eyes cross.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! its pretty and hey, as long as it makes you smile when you get home :-)

Anonymous said...

In de-Idom, our rating system for Xmas decorations is based solely on ostentation. More is the by-word...more lights, more colors, more kitsch. This definitely is in the right direction

alexis said...

for my dad's taste, I'd say there's about a pound or so of tinsel still missing...

stef said...

Hey- if it's not dripping with tastless lights, it's not a holiday season! wait till I post a pic of our tree...