Saturday, December 15, 2007

Party time

I'm so proud of myself. I managed to throw a party on a Friday (that is, no day off to prepare) and yet plan ahead enough that we were ready, calm, and sitting on the couch (really! I wasn't madly garnishing as guests arrived!) when the first guest arrived.

By spacing out the preparations (one weekend for decorating, one weekend for grocery shopping and baking, one weeknight day for the last of cooking), I enjoyed the work even more than usual. Here's an pictorial survey of the menu:

On the left, you can see the cookies: chocolate orange hazelnut cookies, chocolate peppermint sandwiches, and madeleines. In the middle are the savories: in the blue bowl, a warm white bean dip, flavored with cumin and Monterrey jack (the closeup is below); baba ghanouj, the yummiest dish that I can't spell, and lemon cured olives.

The bread was the no-knead recipe I've written about before. I was flattered because most people thought it was store bought. (It's funny how that can be either a compliment or an insult.) The olives need a whole post themselves, but I'll save that for another day. Here are the happy guests, munching and chatting and looking fabulous like only physicists can look.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it was a success. Are you bringing home the leftovers? Especially the cookies? The teal/turquoise and yellow furniture are striking.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm chocolate orange hazelnut sounds good. I didn't recognize the guy in the black sweater in the middle of the couch at first until I realized that he was missing the large joint of pig.

Anonymous said...

I-spy you are the owners of a Mondrian - photo 1, top right-hand corner!

alexis said...

wow, what a lovely party! Shoot, maybe I do need to get on this whole hosting thing.

stef said...

It's nice to see the room in use! I see what you mean about it being all in the planning...