Monday, March 31, 2008

Downs and ups

The not-so-great parts of my new life:

1. It has snowed the past two nights. As the room that I'm living in appears to have no insulation, the frigid weather means that if I'm in my room, I'm under my feather duvet.
2. While I found a sublet that is a half-hour walk from the university, it's an hour and a half walk to most everywhere else I want to go, like the grocery store or the movie theater. So, taking a trip to the bookstore can basically eat up the whole day.
3. I don't know anybody here.

The pretty-great parts of my new life:

1. I get a lot (A LOT) of exercise walking places.
2. I've found a terrific bakery that's just a fifteen minute walk from my house. In Maryland, I live on the (ahem) less affluent side of town, and there are no bakeries.
3. The people I work with are very nice, so I shall soon know people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to go "thrifting" $25 for a bicycle would cut that hour and a half to go anywhere else to 15 minutes. The first Taxi ride will pay for it.

Dad

Anonymous said...

If you decide to get a bike you MUST get a helmet - otherwise money could become irrelevant!

a friend

alexis said...

and that bike should have snow tires, it appears!

hang in there, it will get better! it's always lonely at first.

stef said...

A bicycle was exactly what I thought of when I read the post. Don't forget a lock! :)

Matty Lau said...

Yeah, hang in there! Spring in Boulder is beautiful and well worth the wait (well, maybe not the insulation-less wait).