Monday, March 03, 2008

Muffin Smackdown!

Due to poor planning, circumstances forced me to make two kinds of muffins this week. (i.e. I forgot to buy enough ingredients to make a double batch of any single kind of muffin.) In one corner, the Iron Chef of my muffin recipes, the Sour Cream Blueberry Orange Muffin, reliable standard of Fine Cooking magazine. In the other corner, the upstart Banana Raspberry Muffin, the untested yet hopeful recipe from the newly acquired Australian cookbook. The Blueberry Muffin was expected to be the winner as it has not one, but two types of luscious dairy fat - sour cream and butter. But the Banana Raspberry won hands down, mainly due to juiciness of its lovely, ruby raspberries. The banana base provided a fruity, moist base. Considering the two recipes have the same amount of sugar but the Banana Raspberry muffins have much less fat and are being consumed at a much higher rate, we have a new Styling with Renee Michelle champion!

The muffin is dead, long live the muffin!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey SiL... I would love the recipes for your winner & loser! Your bro made boxed (gasp!) muffins for work breakfast on Monday. These sound like better alternatives we could try for next time... Thanks, & I'll try to comment more on your blogging, as I really enjoy reading what the two of you are doing! (p.s.- we picked up K's dresser tonight; thanks again for the SwRM advice!)

alexis said...

sigh, I wish I had an oven that actually baked! :(