Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Musings

I'm slowly recovering from the three conferences I visited in seven days: one large physics educators conference, one more tightly-focused physics education research conference, and one mathematical psychology conference. (That last one was mainly because it was held in DC and I just couldn't stop conferencing, apparently.) And I won't bore you with any more academic details.
-----
I recently received an iPod shuffle as a gift. I'm enjoying listening to music as I walk down the street, but until yesterday I was always careful to load whole albums and listen to them in order, neglecting the whole "shuffle" part of it. My question: are you ever in the mood for a twelfth century chant followed by Frank Sinatra? My answer: only if you have a 3-minute attention span. But I've decided to take the plunge, because the Shuffle is really made to well, shuffle, so I'm trying to embrace the musical stream of consciousness, as it were. When this results in an inability to concentrate on any one topic for more than 180 seconds and I fail out of school, I'll blame iPod.
-----
I watched the movie Ratatouille a second time this week and let me say, I am astounded by their detailed portrayal of food in the movie. When the cooks drop an herb in the soup, you can tell if it's thyme or basil. Amazing! I recommend it as a Styling movie, and one that you can watch with your kids.
-----
I've only got seven workdays left in my summer. Then it'll be three glorious weeks of spending time with family and visiting Rome. Oh, and I'll probably find time to get married during those three weeks.

5 comments:

stef said...

OMG- I can't believe it's so soon! And those Pixar folks- they know how to make a good picture I tells ya.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time at your wedding - see you soon for the receiption in Ohio!

Aunt Gloria

Matty Lau said...

So what randomness have you experience on your Shuffle these days? Some John Denver followed by 12th century choral stylings?

alexis said...

LOL!!!!

Rome - is that the honey moon??

Anonymous said...

Alexis - Stay off the plane!

RM - I think it is so nice that you are finding time to squeeze in the wedding