Tuesday, July 01, 2008

That's "Sir" to you.

I earned a promotion last week. Sadly, there is little money involved but I get a different pip on my collar. This is because I completed my dissertation proposal, which is basically a miniature version of what my dissertation will be. I wrote a paper on what I plan to do and how, along with a sample of the data analysis I've done so far. Then I gave a talk to the PhD's that will likely be on my committee, and they gave me lots of feedback on what I should do as I write my dissertation over the next two years. In my case, this also corresponds to my reclassification as a Level 3 Graduate Student, otherwise known as a Doctoral candidate This means a $100 a year raise, which is about $6 more per month after taxes. That two whole cups of coffee! Furthermore, because we have assigned Starfleet ranks to all the positions in our research group, I have also earned a promotion from Lieutenant, junior grade to full Lieutenant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations lieutenant - it all sounds very impressive - but don't let the money go to your head!

UK - a friend

stef said...

o god, this post is a nerd overload- you know that right? Congrats lieutenant! Does this mean a change in the color of your uniform too?

Anonymous said...

DON'T GET THE RED UNIFORM - THEY ALWAYS GET KILLED ON THE AWAY MISSIONS!

stef said...

RM- I can't find your email address. SOrry to use your blog for communications! But do you know if Andrew is still planning on bringing his clubs this wkd?