Monday, May 25, 2009

The beginning of summer

Friday I FINALLY went to see the new Star Trek movie. It was very good, as everyone had promised. I am sorry that it had so many sad events in it (that's as specific as I get, I promise) because when sad things happen, I cry, in life as well as the movies. So there were tears shed, but all for a good cause, I suppose.
We (that is, the entire Star Trek group) went to see the movie at an IMAX. You really are immersed when you watch a movie on a screen that big. Unfortunately, they apparently set the volume for younger ears, so most of the group found it uncomfortably loud. (I guess our group of mainly twenty-somethings was older than the target audience?)
-----
On Saturday we went to see Garrison Keillor do his Prairie Home Companion Show at an outdoor theater in Virginia. This is turning into an annual event, and I hope it will be one I can continue wherever we move next. Even if PHC isn't your cup of tea (you've got to appreciate homespun, slightly musty stories from the heartland), it can be a joy to watch Garrison Keillor. He is a man who obviously loves his job - he has been hosting the weekly show for over thirty years, writing songs, skits, and a monologue for every one. I hope I'll enjoy my work that much in three decades.
-----
Yesterday we went to the beach. We had debated whether to make the trip, because there were predictions of rain. But it was our only chance to go during the entire month of May, so we decide to leave early and get there before the rain clouds. I had resigned myself to cloudy skies and figured that they would be a small price to pay for a relaxing day out. Unfortunately, we hadn't considered the wind, and after a few hours huddling under towels to keep warm, we packed up. Lesson learned: don't just look at the temperature and rain forecast - windchill matters in the summer too.

8 comments:

unclem-nm said...

I'm glad to see even those as young as you find the sound at the movies so loud. It is a big reason why I rarely go.

alexis said...

ohhh man, I could tell you all about wind. get on a bike in the NL even once and you will learn that lesson very fast.

stef said...

earplugs my dear! It took me a while to warm up to PHC but I do like it now. I bet seeing it live is very fun.

Ellie said...

LOVED the Star Trek movie. Went to see it last night. Although I'm not pleased AT ALL with the romantic sub-plot!

Matty Lau said...

Glad you had a good time, eventhough your ear drums might not be too happy with you.

I agree with Stef, earplugs may be the way to go. I've learned I need to do that every time I go to a concert. Now it seems I'll be needing them for movies too.

unclem-nm said...

It's pretty sad when in order to go do things we enjoy we need to use sound reducing devices. What does that say about our culture?

Bernice said...

I've been carrying earplugs for years. From the reviews I hear about the movie, I must see it.

Pulisha said...

Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also felt the IMAX was way too loud, and I am kind of hard of hearing (or so my Hubs tells me, lol!). I love PHC, too. How fun to see it in person!