Saturday, May 16, 2009

Firmly planted

I visited our local farmer's market this morning, which was the first time this year. I enjoyed getting some local strawberries and picking out flowers other than those supermarket standards, lilies and carnations, which have to suffice during the long winter months. But the best part was seeing people - the farmer who always calls me the best-dressed of his customers, and the flower lady who sold us flowers for our wedding.
You might not think there are any advantages to the length it takes to complete a doctoral degree - in my case, it will probably be seven years. But getting my degree has forced me to live in one location for a long time, longer than I've lived anywhere as an adult. And so I run into acquaintances at the market, and physicists at the grocery store. I've put down roots and that feels pretty terrific.

4 comments:

unclem-nm said...

There is a lot said for being able to be part of a community. Happy root growing :)

alexis said...

7 years already, wow! it's hard when you've grown to love travel to admit that staying put is nice too at first. :)

stef said...

That is wild. On the other hand, I have lived in my current area for 4 years and have little community ties to show for it. Maybe that's city life?

Matty Lau said...

It is wonderful to have roots and a community.