Saturday, January 28, 2012

A quiet Saturday night

I'm still behind in my work, so I spent the whole day working to get ready for my upcoming conferences. But in the evening, Andrew and I sat down and had dinner together, like we do almost every night. It wasn't anything particularly fancy - I thawed out some homemade tomato soup and made some grilled cheese sandwiches. We ate and listened to Prairie Home Companion, a radio show that's been on the air since I was a child. Since it's set in Minnesota, it connects me to my past, and I'm happy that Andrew enjoys listening to it, even though he didn't grow up with things like Jello salad, bachelor farmer uncles, and blizzards. While we were eating dinner, we watched the hungry geckos** who hang around our kitchen window at night to sup on all the insects attracted by the light of our dining room lamp.
It made me think about my life right now, and how I'm happy with a job I love, sharing a home with my husband. Ten years ago (more or less), I was working as a line cook in Albuquerque, living in a roach-filled apartment. I didn't have quiet Saturday nights, because I always worked weekends and evenings, although I did listen to Prairie Home Companion, because I use my cassette tape recorder to tape record it while I was away every week. I earned a bit above minimum wage, and I couldn't really figure out what to do next with my life. My life is so different, ten years later. And I wonder what my life will look like ten years from now.


** They're not actually geckos (they're anoles), but that's what many people call them here.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

It sounds a perfect evening - a good way to relax.
I followed the link to anoles and I think I must be a stressed anole - the indicators match closely.

de-I said...

And (you forgot to add) you are Ph.D in Physics - something that I don't remember being talked about while you were working on the line :)

alexis said...

it is so good to be aware of the goodness in our lives. I'd look back 10 years ago to where I was but I'm afraid I can't even remember last week.