Sunday, January 08, 2012

Time off

The semester starts tomorrow, and since I'm teaching this time around, I'm a little less sure of my time management skills. That is, I'm not quite sure how much time teaching will take, and thus how much will remain for research, cooking dinner, preparing for my upcoming conference, or learning my new voice parts for choir. As a result, I'm been preparing. Our clothes are clean, I'm only behind in one project at work, and I did a lot of pre-cooking for the next few weeks.
I also decided we need to prepare by having fun, so we went kayaking this weekend. My mother-in-law worried about about the danger in kayaking, but I think she's picturing people strapped tightly into narrow boats, shooting down rapids. We were in low-to-the ground plastic two-seated kayaks, gently paddling our way through mangrove forests in water that was four feet deep. Our friends, silhouetted picturesquely below, demonstrate the peacefulness of the activity.
The beauty of the double kayak is that (while I try to do my part) I generally find that my paddling partner is working harder than me, so I get to glide a bit more than I paddle.

7 comments:

RunEddRun said...

Jen and I take the motor and steering approach to kayaking. I don't mind being the motor :-)

alexis said...

I love kayaking! I wonder if my back is improved enough that I could try it again?

Also - I would love to hear about the types of dishes you make to eat for later. I presume they are being stored in the freezer?

Gill - UK said...

So pleased that you both take your personal safety seriously.

Rest assured M-in-Law will not lie awake worrying!

Bernice said...

Good luck on teaching. A looked very happy out there.

de-I said...

I've only done it a couple of times and loved it as well. But isn't this a lot like that dreaded thing you call exercise? Isn't there a distinct possibility of perspiration resulting from this? Seems very un SRM.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Alexis - sometimes my pre-cooking involves cleaning, chopping, and blanching a whole bunch of vegetable for the week, so that they can be quickly turned into stirfrys, pasta dishes, and salads. I am currently working on a more ambitious pre-cooking plan, and will report back on it soon.

Uncle de-I - it is true that I am not a fan of perspiration. But I have also noticed that when I go a whole week without moving much, various parts of me start hurting. So some exercise is, of course, preferable to pain.

de-I said...

Ah the creeping crud of age starts affecting yet another one :(