Thursday, January 05, 2012

Cold

I'm back in Miami, where we've been living through "cold" weather, which means that it's in the 60's (15-20C) during the day and 40-50F (4-10C) each night. For a northerner, of course, this is still laughably warm, and it's amusing to see everyone pile on their wool sweaters and hats. On the other hand, most of us don't have much warm clothing, and there's no heat in the buildings. It's kind of like when I was in Norway and they had a "heat wave" of 70 F (20C). If you don't get that kind of weather, then the houses and people there just aren't built for it.

In the meantime, I'm dealing with another kind of cold, the kind that lives in your sinuses until all you dream about is when you'll be able to take a deep breath of air through your nose again. Since I was sick over Christmas, I didn't do much cooking. But I did get out of bed to make dessert. While it's not very polished, you can still tell it's a hedgehog, right? It was made with a dark chocolate olive oil cake and Swiss buttercream frosting, so it tasted good, in any case.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Sorry to hear you were suffering - love the hedgehog cake - I've never heard of dark chocolate olive oil cake - if you get time please post the recipe.

Bernice said...

I thought is was really cute. It tasted great as well. Thanks for making it.

de-I said...

I've been sick during the holidays. It is such a bummer. Hope you feel well soon.

alexis said...

I totally commiserate on the not being able to breath business! It's a bummer. I try to really appreciate when I am not sick as a result so thank you for reminding me.

And yes I think the cake is gorgeous