Thursday, January 10, 2013

In the Crescent City


I've been in New Orleans at a conference this week. It's been very enjoyable, as New Orleans seems to be a city that has a strong sense of place. When I walked through the streets, I never thought, "Hmm, it's just like Boston. Or Cincinnati." Nope. Instead, I saw the wide, wide Mississippi and the second-story balconies, which form canopies over the sidewalks. I ate beignets with chicory coffee at Cafe du Monde and mufflettas. I heard music as it spilled on to the streets, and I discovered that the people really are as friendly as they say in the guidebooks.


I only had time for sightseeing on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was cold and rainy and all my pictures show a gray and cold city. When I couldn't bear the wet anymore, I headed over to the St. Louis Cathedral (pictured to the left) and attended a service. This Cathedral was built in the 1700's and is the oldest still-functioning cathedral in the U.S. It was lovely (and warm) to spend the morning.

In a city know for so many different types of food, I've only been able to try a few. I was limited by both time and appetite - New Orleans doesn't exactly specialize in vegetarian cuisine. But I ended my trip with a Ramos Gin Fizz, which involved cream and gin and egg white. I know that doesn't sound like a perfect combination, but it was delicious. It didn't hurt that I drank it in a ritzy hotel bar (the Sarezac in the Rooselvelt hotel) with a bartender in a white coat who could offer a detailed history of the classic drinks he served. 

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Hope the conference went well - did you present?
I didn't realise New Orleans could look so grey - the photographs show an English sky.

Dad said...

Oddly enough (especially with my foodie inclination), New Orleans and Louisiana are one of the only major City/States in the US that I haven't visited.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, I did present. It was at the very end of the conference (about an hour before it ended) and a lot of people had already left. But I was asked lots of good questions, and I consider that a success.