Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lifehacking

I love to lifehack. I read blogs like Lifehacker and Ask Metafilter to learn about all the ways I can live my life a little more efficiently. I find it particularly interesting to think about how I can use my time at work more profitably. Academics have (relatively) a lot of free time, and a lot of long-term projects that we need to complete, and which may not have firm deadlines. My starting technique was a to-do list, and I've used several different to-do list apps in an effort to better visualize my priorities. Then I moved on to staying focused while working, which is why I now use the Pomodoro technique. This structures my time so that I work for 25 sustained minutes, and "break" for 5. The break can be as simple as checking email or talking to a colleague about a project, or even making a cup of tea. The short bursts of sustained work help you reduce distractions and interruptions, and I manage to do a lot of writing and editing this way. 
But the most meaningful change occurred when I installed Internet-blocking software on my computer. (I use SelfControl.) I recognize that I often fritter away time on news sites or blogs, and I used to turn off my wifi connection. But that doesn't work as well when you need to do research or check email. The Internet-blocking application is much more sophisticated - if I activate it, I can't change my mind during the chosen time (which for me, is the eight hours of my workday). Turning off the computer won't disable it, although I'm sure if I knew more about programming I could figure out a shortcut. Most importantly, I don't block all Internet, just the places I waste time. Goodbye facebook and slate and New York Times. Hello productivity at work. This appeals to my German sense of efficiency, but also to the cognitive scientist in me: we have only a limited amount of self control each day, and so when I minimize the choices I have to make to stay focused, I save some willpower for other decisions in my day.

5 comments:

Warren said...

I have been tossing around the idea of getting internet blocking software for years now. I love this post. Thank you so much Renee Michell!! - Warren

Gill - UK said...

Another piece of sound advice - and of course when you retire the pressure to maintain self discipline diminishes. I think I'll take a look at some of the links!

alexis said...

I love that there is really a limited amt of self control a day and you need to use is wisely!

I gotta say the kiddo is a great motivator for staying focused at work. But what I miss is energy. I feel I often run a little dry in the afternoons or if I am tired in the mornings. How to keep sustained energy all day? Esp when you have to sit most of the day.

Bernice said...

I'm with Gill. It is a whole different set of issues when you are retired. It is easy to now have clear goals.

Bernice said...

I'm with Gill. It is a whole different set of issues when you are retired. It is easy to now have clear goals.