Saturday, January 12, 2013

More freezer cooking

The larder (aka the freezers) was once again bare, so today was a Big Cook. It certainly deserves full capitalization, because I'm exhausted by the end of it. But the exhaustion is well worth it when I arrive home from work at 8pm and think, "I'll eat anything if it can just be ready in 20 minutes." At that point it's just a bonus if it is something healthy.

Along with the standard marinara sauce and pizza dough, I added some new things to the mix: 

Cauliflower and chickpea curry
19 burritos - for lunches
Mushroom, roasted red pepper, and swiss cheese quiche
For my records, I made 19 lunches (all burritos), 6 quiche dinners, 4 pizza dinners, 4 spaghetti dinners, and 3 curry dinners. I also have plans tomorrow to make 4 Mexican egg roll dinners (I know, it's an odd fusion recipe. It's probably best to call them Southwest bean rolls and not think about it too much.)

7 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I admire your organisational skills

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
de-I said...

So the quiche freezes OK? Somehow I thought cooked eggs wouldn't do so well in the freezer.

Pulisha said...

I was just about to post the same question, De-I. How does the quiche turn out once you defrost it? The picture looks amazing!

alexis said...

I would like to add to the question about the quiche how the curry turns out. I just took some bean dishes out of the freezer and they had not fared so well. I think they let too much liquid out.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I will report back on the quiche and the curry, because I have not yet unthawed them.

I will say that I freeze beans all the time, because I cook up one or two pounds at once and then freeze them in smaller amounts. I freeze them in the cooking liquid - is that what you did, Alexis?

Denise Annemarie said...

Wow -- I'm impressed! I thought I was doing great until I read your blog (I made 2 dozen pumpkin muffins, 3 dozen mini pumpkin muffins, homemade bread, potato soap and homemade applesauce by lunch time today!