Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Lighting a candle


     Friday the 25th is the one-year anniversary of Andrew's death. This day feels like it means a lot, perhaps more than his birthday. It marks the fact that I and his family have survived a year without him, but it also gives me a bit of distance so that I can hopefully focus on happy memories of him.
     I will be in Minnesota for a conference, but my supervisor generously offered to cover my responsibilities for the day so that I could take the day off. Although I have family in the city, and there will be lots of friends in town for the conference, I decided that I wanted to spend the day alone, with just my thoughts. The only thing I have planned is a trip to the Cathedral of St. Paul, which sounded like the kind of contemplative space I'd want to be at that day.
     A friend has told me about some of the Jewish traditions surrounding the anniversary of a loved one's death. Part of it involves lighting a candle and saying a prayer. So I've been asking my friends, and I ask my friends and family who read my blog - if you would like to do something to remember Andrew, light a candle on Friday and think of him.

3 comments:

Bernice said...

Your father and I will be lighting a candle together with Andrew's parents and sister who are visiting us. You are in our thoughts.

Valerie said...

Thinking of you, and Andrew's parents and sister, and wishing you all peace.
I have lit a candle for Andrew this evening. It is perfumed with bluebells, a reminder of the woods on Cannock Chase, near Andrew's Staffordshire home.

de-I said...

We will be joining you.