Monday, July 14, 2014

Preserving

     When I left for San Francisco, there was nothing to eat in the garden. Actually, that's not quite true, because I'm learning that a lot of weeds are edible, and they grow almost all the time. But it was slim pickings - the spring lettuce and arugula had become too bitter to eat in the heat, and the summer plants hadn't started producing. But when I returned I had eggplant, broccoli, cucumbers, basil, and zucchini.
     Because of this, the stocking of the winter larder has begun. For the first time on my own, I canned. The four quarts of pickles in the middle were the result. There are several ways to screw up canning: you can get the pH wrong, the food can be insufficiently heated so the pathogens aren't killed, or you can fail to make a seal on the lids. (This leaves out pressure canning, used for meat and low-pH foods, but I don't pressure can.) I felt okay about pH and heat - that's just following a recipe. So, just to be sure, I had my expert canner friend C come over and check that the lids sealed properly. Now, if I gift you some pickles this year you can be almost sure that they won't be moldy when you open them...
     I made a few quarts of refrigerator pickles, using the same garlic dill pickle recipe. I wanted a chance to test these pickles soon - what if I made two dozen quarts over the course of the summer and the discovered I hated the recipe?
I also bought some cherries and made rum-soaked cherries. Boozy fruit, as I've heard it called, is a revelation to me. I love the idea of easily preserving fruit and making deliciously flavored alcohol at the same time. I hope these are as delicious in real life as they are in my imagination, but I'll have to wait until they're ready at Christmas to find out.

5 comments:

Carissa said...

I'm happy to be called an expert =) great job canning!

Gill - UK said...

I think that making sure the canning is done properly is the most skilful part of the process - well done

de-I said...

They look great. That's one thing we've never made an attempt at.

alexis said...

I love the idea of canning one's own produce! Since we don't get anything here other than apples, as you well know, we basically stick to apples. Last year was my first go at canning apple butter and that was Dah Bomb. Will absolutely do it again this year.

Denise Annemarie said...

Your efforts look so great!

We too have been canning -- zucchini relish and lots and lots of pickles. I even tried making some freezer bread and butter pickles because I am tired of canning! We also got lots of beans, peas and more zucchini in the freezer. It's a lot of work but so worth it in the winter.