Monday, July 21, 2014

Summer, part two

     What says summer more than spitting watermelon seeds off the porch? I harvested my first watermelon, after thumping, searching for dried tendrils, looking for yellowed patches on the bottom, and every other ripeness indicator we could think of. And it was good, but not great. Great would have happened if I had waited another few days. But since there are at least six more melons on the vine, I don't feel too bad.
     I had a terrific weekend. I've been doing a woodworking project with my friend N for the past four months; while we're still not done, the end is finally within sight. I made even more pickles. I took my first bike ride to the grocery store, something I've long aspired to. And then I got lost on the way back, so I ended up cycling six miles. That feet like a very long way to a beginner like me.
     I also made my best ice cream to date - blueberry-vanilla-cardamom. I originally started making ice cream just because I liked the taste of premium ice cream but not the price (and thanks to G and F for the ice cream maker). But since I discovered how easy it is to make the stuff and how many interesting flavors I can invent, I can't stop.

6 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

The ice cream sounds delicious. I plan to try a couple of flavors while we have the two granddaughters here to help us eat it!

Bernice said...

When you chose these friends, was one of the criterion that they liked to spit watermelon seeds or did you introduce them to that?

alexis said...

good lord, that is such a quintessential summer weekend you had. The ice cream sounds delicious as well!

alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
de-I said...

True - ice cream, water melon, getting lost on the bike...pure summer.

Denise Annemarie said...

That ice cream sounds so good! I have an ice cream maker too -- would you mind sharing some of your recipes?