Sunday, January 25, 2015

auf Deutsch

     Suddenly, I am trying to remember and refresh all the German language knowledge that is stored up in my long-term memory. I have six weeks to pull together as much as I can remember, because I'm got a trip to Germany planned and I want to be able to talk to people coherently.
     My uncle and aunt periodically plan these great trips abroad. They rent a large house in a European country, in a region that carefully chosen for its rich history and architecture. Then they invite friends and family to come along. There is time for individual sightseeing trips during the day, and together time during evening meals at home. Andrew and I went on the Spain trip a few years ago and loved it. They're planning another one, but this year I decided it was out of my price range, because I wouldn't be splitting the costs with a partner.
     It got me thinking, though, about how much I value travel and I decided to plan a trip that would fit within my budget. This is my first vacation, without friends or family, that I'll make without Andrew. Lots of firsts after a death hurt a bit more, so I picked a location that I know well and that wouldn't tax my ability to navigate - and that means Germany.
     Thus, I've loaded my podcast player with German podcasts, my blog feed with German blogs, and I'll be watching some German television next month. I have also contemplated talking to the dog and cat solely auf Deutsch. After all, it's not like the cat listens to anything I say anyway.

3 comments:

Benedikt Harrer said...

Let me know if you'd like to practice in Seattle :)

alexis said...

oh wow. sigh, it's bitter sweet isn't it? If you want to swing through Amsterdam, you know you are more then welcome but I can imagine you might be keen to do a solo trip.

de-I said...

Don't know when you are planning your trip to Germany but prior to going to Italy in the big house we will be spending 3 weeks in Graz Austria in something much more modest if that might interest you.