Thursday, October 01, 2015

This and that

It's been a lot of radio silence over here. Although I've been working on projects, they're not done, so there's nothing to show here.
----------------
It's fall, so I've been focused on sewing. Since starting the 333 Project, I love having only the clothes that I need in my closet. But since I only have about 8 outfits, that also means my clothes wear out faster. Thus, I'm sewing two new skirts for my fall wardrobe. I've found two "growth areas" (as they phrase it during your annual review): zippers and pockets. I spent three hours putting in a zipper one day. How does one take that long, you might ask? By continually sewing it in wrong, and then ripping it out, alas. I'm hoping and praying that eventually I'm learning, but I'm still dreading the zipper in the second skirt.
----------------
My parents came for a visit last weekend. There was no particular agenda, but still we managed to pack our days full. We visited an interesting museum in Salisbury, Maryland, a town two hours east, across the Chesapeake Bay. I wouldn't have thought to go see a museum of wood bird carvings, but they were very good. I do appreciate it when tourists help me see new things in my old stomping grounds.
----------------
I'm really appreciating all the hurricane-induced rain we've been getting. I still have things growing in the garden, but as the season has progressed I'm spending less time tending the plants, which means they haven't gotten enough water. You can also see the effect of my minimal-gardening efforts in the fact that I left the green beans and soybeans on the plants to dry, and now I'm harvesting the seeds as dried beans. Of course, fresh edamame is tastier than dried, cooked soybeans, but i came to a point where I just couldn't bear to pick and freeze any more produce.

3 comments:

alexis said...

yeah! good to hear that you are still busy as ever. Sounds like you still have quite a lot of projects going on.

de-I said...

I think the limits on what one person or couple can consume is also one of my reasons for not doing more vegetable growing - that and the fact the results flavor wise have generally not been good. When the best result you get is "This is as good as you get at the store!" It's time to take up other interests.

Gill - UK said...

Do you tack the zip in place first? This should make it obvious that it is in the wrong way - slower than just pinning the zip in place, but it should save you time by only needing to put the zip in once.