Monday, October 12, 2015

Bugs

As I was waking up this morning, a cricket hopped across my bed. Let me tell you, that got me out of bed FAST. I have a vivid memory of taking a bath at my grandma's house as a kid, and after I got out, she found two crickets swimming around in the water. My grandmother played it cool and said they were taking a swim with me, but as a kid I was terrified of bugs, and it scared me silly. I've since become a lot more tolerant of creepy crawly things, and will now catch crickets and spiders and send them to their freedom outside, but I'm still not that keen on them sharing my bed.

I wonder if the cricket hitched a ride in on the last of the garden produce. Once again, I had a bumper crop of sweet potatoes, harvesting more than I could carry at once - so maybe 40 pounds? They'll now sit quietly and age for a couple of months, and then they'll be sweet enough for Thanksgiving dinner. Once again, I expect that sweet potato nachos will be a staple until next March.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Well done on the bumper harvest of sweet potatoes.
I expect the cricket had come in out of the cold.

de-I said...

Wow 40 pounds. Good thing you've got a root cellar. I had crickets in my bedroom in Gratz and was none too happy.

alexis said...

I TOTALLY remember going to grandma's house on the farm and the big grasshoppers. They totally freaked me out, little suburban kid that I was.