Monday, August 08, 2016

High summer

     I have returned to a season I would term high summer, and it is delightful. There is so much life happening. When I step out in the evening, the sound of the crickets and cicadas is almost deafening. I can't keep up with the pace of the ripening cherry tomatoes and squash.  A huge patch of black-eyed susans has taken over a corner of the garden.
     My friend E and I had a wonderful day trip to the beach on Saturday. Her husband dislikes the beach and its blinding sun and heat, so we decided that I would go with her and her two kids. Three hours to the beach with a three-year-old and a two-year-old is more manageable if the adults at least equal the number of the kids. I didn't go deep enough to immerse my waist, but the waves were so powerful that I was still knocked down by the waves a few times and lost my sunglasses. The kids wisely and carefully would not venture past ankle-depth, but the oldest still found his first experience with the ocean captivating.
     Next weekend I head to Ohio for the annual pig roast. As always, it's a bit odd that a pig roast makes the annual social calendar for a vegetarian. But I get to see my folks and there's always a subset of half a dozen physicists who specially come to hang out. And when else what I get my fix of Midwestern classics like Jello and ramen salad?
   

6 comments:

de-I said...

Ramen salad? Maybe the Midwestern part of Japan?

I applaud your friend's husband. I despise the beach. Add in all that itchy, scratchy sand to the list.

Gill - UK said...

We have lots of green tomatoes - oh for some of your sunshine.
Remember us to your mum and dad when you see them this weekend.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

I'll trade you a lot of peaches for some squash! If you are driving to Ohio you can "gift" your parents with your garden extras.

alexis said...

do you know I made jell-o salad for friends like NINE YEARS AGO and they still haven't let me forget it?

I have childhood memories of the sound of insects in the summer in MD. What a lovely memory.

webmasterbagwan@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

For the record, there was strawberry pretzel jello salad AND mandarin orange pretzel jello salad.

Also, I dearly wish I could take Gloria up on her offer.