Saturday, August 20, 2016

Project day

Once again, it was my turn to host project day. Because I had just taken project management training at work, I whipped out a project plan laying out goals, resources needed, timeline, people involved, and, of course, menus. Luckily, all this planning did not scare off my friends and they arrived, shovels and extra clothes in hand, for we were... de-gardening!
It may come as a shock that I wanted to rip out existing gardens in the yard, considering my love of all things growing. But it turns out that my love only extends to edibles, and despite my best efforts these gardens mainly grew weeds. I think the previous owner may have put them in decades ago, when the trees behind them were much smaller. I considered putting in shade-loving perennials, but then I'd spend a lot of time weeding shrubs that I didn't want in the first place. Instead, I decided to rip everything out and replace it with lawn. And since cool-season lawns are best planted in fall, the de-gardening needed to happen now, in the heat of the summer.
 Before.
After.
I'm not sure those pictures do our work justice, so let me elaborate. In 31C/88F weather, we relocated an herb garden, removed a small shed, pulled up pressure-treated wood dividers, removed armloads of bricks and rebar, and tore up ivy. We pulled out shrubs (So. Many. Shrubs), relocated the compost heap and the wood pile, and sawed out metal piping that protruded into the air. 
The only thing left in the space is a pile of brush to have picked up by the city, and then I can till and seed the lawn. This is not insignificant work, but it *is* achievable by me without any help in the next few weeks. Whereas when we stared this morning, I doubted whether even five adults together could clear the space. 
I had hoped to relax with a glass of wine tonight, but it turns out that I just want to drink two quarts of water and go to bed. But tomorrow morning you can trust that I'll be outside with my coffee, enjoying the hard-earned view of plain dirt.

5 comments:

Bernice said...

I must say you have great friends! It looks great.

Gill - UK said...

You have a good system and it does get jobs done. How big is the area you are going to put to grass?

de-I said...

you're right, the pictures in no way reflect the amount of work that was done.

alexis said...

that is such an amazing accomplishment! I am really inspired by your community of helpers to which you belong and what you guys can achieve.

Ellie said...

You left out the nearly completed huge clothes line crosses that were cut and assembled from ten foot long 4x4s, three trips to the hardware store (wasp spray, lumber, drill bit), the entertaining (and conflict resolution) of four children ages 2 to 8, and the hours of effort you put into having a full day of food ready for all of us. We amaze me!