Thursday, November 24, 2016

Family

I am becoming my father.

     I extended my Seattle trip so I could visit my old college friend, A. We've known each other for twenty years and I because I've spent so much time in the city previously, we agreed that we didn't need to do a lot of touristy things around Seattle, just needed a chance to catch up. A's suggestion was a relaxed day of a taking a ferry to a nearby island or just doing a hike plus a visit to a local pub. Instead, I suggested we spend the day doing home repairs. A's handy, but usually hires out all of this kind of work.
     Two trips to Home Depot, a morning of DIY YouTube videos, and an afternoon of work later, and we had repaired a leaky shower, diagnosed a faulty motion-activated light fixture, and replaced five exterior door locks so that they all use the same key. It's not quite how A was expecting the day to unfold, but I think he was pleased with the result.
Medea the dog offers moral support during the faucet cartridge replacement.
I am now REALLY good at replacing door locks. Locksmithing is my new back-up job if physics doesn't work out.
------
Also, I am nothing like my father.
     Yesterday my dad helped me install a hitch on my car. It was pretty easy because he has a car lift. But first my parents and I spent six hours cleaning off all of the stuff piled up on the car lift. I am such a minimalist that I simply can't even conceive of owning so much stuff. But amongst all the junk metal and bolts, you find little historical treasures like this vintage cardboard milk carton. We think it has been holding sandpaper since about 1975, because the milk supplier is from the town where I was born in Minnesota.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

You may be holding treasure - you could try to sell it on eBay (or the US equivalent)
or auction it as vintage.
I take it , it still contains the milk?

de-I said...

You know, I'm seriously thinking of having you visit. I'm SURE I could find SOMETHING for you to fix while you were here :)

alexis said...

you definitely need to come here to visit.