Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Thoughts from the road

     On Sunday I began a convoluted two-week trip involving Maryland, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Seattle, multiple dog sitters, and Thanksgiving with my parents. The first leg involved dropping Ada off in Ohio and then heading to Pittsburgh for a two-day conference. For most of the trip, Ada remembered that she doesn’t need to bark in the car, but whenever I get of the highway and make a lot of turns or stops, she forgets. (For my physics friends, my dog is essentially a well-tuned accelerometer.)
     I think the dog would enjoy car trips more if I could figure out how to keep her crate cooler. A thick blanket most be draped over her crate at all times; if she can see any movement through a window, even through a thinner blanket, she goes crazy. As a result, the crate gets pretty warm. I need a way to keep her cool but in the dark. In the past, I tried a blindfold, attached to her harness, but she was highly motivated to get it off and wriggled out of the blindfold, her collar, and her harness. Suggestions are appreciated.
-----
     While I was in Pittsburgh, I met a friend for dinner. I had two foods I had never eaten before - Philly cheesesteaks and buckwheat tea. I had never had the former because I hadn't come across a a restaurant that made them with seitan, and I hadn't even heard of the latter. It's kind of rare in my life that I get to try utterly new foods, and they were both delicious. I'm already researching how to roast my buckwheat for tea, since that seems much cheaper.


4 comments:

alexis said...

I am deeply intrigued by the seitan philly sandwich. The meat version gives me way too much indigestion.

Gill - UK said...

Blackout curtain material - thinner than blanket - but very effective at keeping out the light - and it might be cooler for Ada. You could even make it a fitted cage cover for her so that it wouldn't dislodge.

de-I said...

I've had buckwheat tea, served cold, at a Korean restaurant.

Anonymous said...

I've had a seitan philly cheese sandwich at a restaurant here in Baltimore. It's pretty tasty, and filling like a meat one. Of course, despite the whole wheat hoagie roll, it is not exactly dietetic considering the copious amounts of cheese, but the indulgence is hard to beat. Glad you got to try this. :-)

-jg