Thursday, November 03, 2016

Retreated

     The cottage I rented came with a little kitchenette, so I stopped and bought groceries before my arrive at the place where I was doing my retreat. I wanted to minimize the time I spent cooking, so I had simple meals, like yogurt and granola for breakfast, and canned soup for lunch. As a result, I can say that I like everything about my retreat except for the canned soup. That stuff is awful.
     I didn't have a really good plan going into this thing, except that I had brought a notebook and turned off all my electronic devices. A friend's wife loaned me two books, one written by a minister and one by a psychotherapist, which were full of stories, poems, and exercises for the reader on the purpose of life. They turned out to be though-provoking and a great structure to my thinking.
     I walked a five-mile trail every day, which took four hours. That is incredibly slow, but on the first day, when I tried to walk it faster, my hands swelled up and turned blue, and I was utterly exhausted. I blame the altitude.
     After three days, I came out with a list of ways I wanted to change my life. Some of them are mundane: I realized that my kitchen table is uncomfortable for all who sit at it and should be replaced. Others are much larger, about how I want to live. If I shared them, though, I think they would not be impressive. If, for example, I said that I wanted to be nicer to people, I think you'd say, "Yup, sure, that's a good thing." But if you've sat in the woods and thought for three days about your life and why you're alive, and realized that you want to live your life to be nice to people, it's deeply moving.
     One thing that stuck with me was a quote in one of the books along the lines of, "Man is an absurd creature. He can watch people dying all around him and still presume death will never happen to him." I know that when I can grasp that I will die, even if I only grasp it a little bit, I live my life in a way that is better - better for me, and better for other people.

5 comments:

Stef said...

What a darling little cottage!

Unknown said...

I am impressed with how you are aware of your life and not just living it.

The cottage looks like something from a fairy tale

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

I'm impressed that you are thinking of these things at such a young age. It takes most people a lifetime!

de-I said...

I did think the cottage looked a bit like a gingerbread house. But the thoughts you came back with were much more profound.

alexis said...

too short a post!! For such a facinting exercise you undertook. Being an incurable navel-gazer, I am utterly taken with the idea of a retreat. If I didn't have small people, I most certainly would undertake it. Maybe we ought to consider it as an activity for the whole family. Probably my husband would riot if he knew I was considering such a thing.