Sunday, November 20, 2016

Seattle

     I've been in Seattle for work this weekend. My former thesis advisor is now a colleague and we are working on a project related to diversity in undergraduate physics education. I spent the first night in the U District, which is the neighborhood next to the University of Washington, crammed full of cheap noodle restaurants, E-cigarette retailers, and hip clothing shops. I wandered around the neighborhood and was reminded of my first stay in Seattle, which was also in the winter. After I graduated from college, I took a two-month course in teaching English as a Second Language in Portland, Oregon. When I was done, I didn't really have any definite plans, so I hopped a bus north to Seattle and got a temp job in human resources at a very posh law firm. (If you are from Seattle, the Seattle Symphony plays in a Hall named for this same law firm.)
     I subletted someone's dining room in a one-bedroom apartment and slept on an air mattress on the floor. I was poor, but had a few friends in the area so I wasn't lonely. I was basically killing time, trying to figure out what my next step was. In mid-December, my temp position wasn't renewed and there weren't any other prospects, so I headed back to my parents. My earliest memories of Seattle are fond, but colored by the indecision and lack of funds that were my constant companions during that time.

3 comments:

de-I said...

And your impressions now as a professional, solidly upper middle class, landowner?

alexis said...

what an interesting snapshot from your past! I have vivid memories of being short of funds as a student and just after university. A lot of soul searching on what had I really accomplished with my 4 year, expensive studies.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

My impressions of Seattle, now that I am part of the landed gentry: it's a beautiful town filled with hip, creative people who earn enough to deal with the high cost of living. It has lovely old houses and great coffee. Also, it's very White.