Monday, August 07, 2017

Star Trek!

     I just spent the last five days with 3000 Trekkies, and it was great. T and I (picture above, in a Borg alcove) listened to actors wax poetic about their auditions, collected autographs, and bought swag. I am now the proud owner of TOS (the original series) science officer pajamas - a worthy addition to anyone's wardrobe.
     T couldn't stop pointing out that we were the B- students. And it was true. I tend to think of myself as a diehard fan, because I've been in a Star Trek group for over a decade and am the kind of person that goes to conventions. But time and again, we were lost. Who was that guest actor? What alien are they referring to? Did Guinan really have no eyebrows? (Google to the rescue: she did not.)
     The rest of this post will only interest those who enjoy a bit of Trek.
 A Klingon battles with several Starfleet children.
 If I ever dressed up, it would be as a Vulcan. Look at the gorgeous fabrics on those robes!
Those with good eyes and high motivation will see Seven of Nine in the background of this photo.

I did live updates from the convention for my Star Trek group. Here are my favorite trivia facts:
  • Picardo thought that the role of the doctor was the worst on Voyager when auditioning - it was a cold and lifeless role, but would put his kids through college. During his audition, after he read the dialogue reminding someone to turn off his program, he improvised the line, "I'm a doctor, not a nightlight." He claims that he didn't know that was a McKoy trope.
  • George Takei said that everyone on the set of TOS figured out that he was gay, even though he never said anything... except Shatner never noticed.
  • Martok (or rather the actor who plays him) is running for Congress.
I'm looking forward to my next vacation - a family reunion in Minnesota - but think that the number of Klingons and Gorn that I run into there will be sadly diminished.

3 comments:

de-I said...

But not completely...K'Plah!

BTW our new accountant is named (I kid you not) Wharff

alexis said...

You know I am probably a z-level fan but seeing your pictures I can't help but think it would be fun to go to such a convention if only for the experience. What a devoted set of fans!

Gill - UK said...

Seeing the Borg alcove reminded me - before I retired - I made a poster to display inside a cupboard in my classroom -
'Argument is irrelevant, Resistance is futile'
It helped me keep in touch with reality!