Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Weather

My vacation began not with a bang, but with a squelch. I could see the storm clouds approaching from my office window at work, but I wasn't able to outrun the rain. Shortly into my ride home, I hit a downpour and biked four miles in the driving rain. It was an uncomfortable and slow ride, knowing that even pedestrians on the path couldn't see me until I was a few feet from them. Luckily I ride on few roads, because I couldn't hear cars and I knew they wouldn't see me until they ran me over.

Once again, this rain invaded my basement. My basement floods two or three times a year, and my current strategy is to keep everything elevated off the floor and aim a fan at the puddles for a few days. I'm hoping that as long as I never smell mold, I can continue as is. I don't want to know how much it would cost to keep water out of my basement- I imagine one would need earth​-moving equipment, which wouldn't be a DIY job.

Vegas, on the other hand, is on a desert, so I won't have to worry about rain. I switched to Celsius last year (an easy task now that most thermometers are digital and websites let you choose your units). I admit I blanched when I saw the weather forecast for Las Vegas. It was just a string of 40s, and I hadn't seen a number that high before. I guess I'll plan on walking very slowly everywhere.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Well, a good vacation is when you slow down. In your case I guess that means walking slow.
Have a relaxed time. You deserve it.

alexis said...

Wow! I bike in the rain all the time but I live in a country where everyone bikes and therefore I don't have that additional mental burden of making sure cars don't kill me and I don't kill pedestrians. And I remember the torrential rains of summer on the east coast - something that doesn't happen too often by us either.

The basement is a major bummer and I applaud your zen attitude. That shiz would drive me totally nuts and I'd end up throwing crazy amounts of money to probably not get it fixed very well. I imagine a lot of research will be required to do the job properly.

de-I said...

And of course it is Monsoon season in the Western Desert so there might be rain after all.

Gill - UK said...

Do your neighbours have the same problem when there is heavy rain? If so, they might have found the cure.
Enjoy Las Vegas