Friday, April 06, 2018

Facts

     My brother and I are a lot alike. We both like spreadsheets, and logic (one programmer, one physicist). We are both project managers and can DIY most broken things. (My father, of course, can DIY any broken thing.) On this trip I discovered another interest we have in common: fact-checking tour guides. Some of the errors are easy to spot because of our professions- my brother notices that a 3D printer doesn't work the way the guide at the Mardi Gras museum says it does, and I known you can't use radiocarbon dating to determine the ancestry of a corpse. Some "facts" just don't pass the plausibility test- some random New Orleans gentleman was richer than Gates, Trump, and the Kardashians put together? Some quick googling shows the numbers are off by a magnitude of a thousand.
      On one hand, it's fun to figure out the errors together. On the other hand, it's a bit disappointing that the tour guides aren't more factual. In any case, it's good that our mother raised us to be polite enough to save our nit-picking for when we are out of earshot of the tour guide.

2 comments:

de-I said...

Or you should be on Twitter calling out tour guide fact faults to the millions as you see them.

alexis said...

sounds like something you can brag about: least accurate tours in New Orleans!