Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Slightly adventerous eating

     I did not have high expectations for cuisine on this trip. In general, my family does not care a lot about food, so I am the outlier. And my last trip to New Orleans was for a conference, so I stayed downtown, where the food tends toward the non-vegetarian-friendly seafood and NOLA classics like jambalaya.
     On this trip, however, the are two factors in my favor. Our Airbnb is located in a hipster, foodie neighborhood, and my sister-in-law, who values good food, is with us. As a result, most of what I've eaten had been outstanding. I've had beignets twice, a stellar omlette, and good local beer. I've also tried several things that are on my "so glad to have tried it, but I can wait another forty years to eat it again" list. These were:
-Basil ice cream. I love my own homemade strawberry rosemary ice cream, but this was like vanilla plus pesto.
-a Cajun Bloody Mary. I love bitter, herbal drinks, but it turns out that salty beverages are not my thing.
-Quail egg sushi. I thought it would be like the slightly sweet tamago that is a favorite of mine, but it turned out to be a raw egg in a nori cup of rice. As a vegetarian, I rarely get to eat adventerous food, so I ate it all, but it must be an acquired taste.

3 comments:

de-I said...

I actually like the quail egg sushi. But then again I didn't think balut eggs were that bad either so I'm not a good reference point.

A's Mum said...

I think you described VERY bold choice of foods - 'slightly' is an understatement.

alexis said...

oh, I hate raw egg, does nothing for me. Egg exposed to heat - any day of the week!