Sunday, April 08, 2018

Vacation Roundup

I'm back home now and have access to a computer, so I thought I'd close with highlight reel of my favorite memories from the trip.
Eating beignets. This cafe in the City Park sells beignets 24 hours a day to meet all the beignet needs of New Orleans. 
My brother wondered how wide the streetcar tracks were laid, so I used the 5'2" measuring stick that I carry with me at all times.
 My brother and his lovely wife at the cemetery where the tour guide makes stuff up.
The kids loved collecting the beads that are strewn on trees throughout the city, which meant that they spent most of the vacation being hoisted up by my brother or standing on each other's shoulders to reach the best beads. In the end, they only took a few of their favorite strings home, and my niece and I rehung all the extras on foliage outside our house.
There was tire swing in a park near our house, which was visited multiple times. Considering how many times one of the kids almost got beaned by a speeding, child-laden tire, I'm amazed that such a swing can remain in today's litigious society. Still, it turns out the kids are very good at quickly ducking.
My father bought the t-shirt in black. Clearly I now need to move to New York, as I refuse to live in Cleveland.
I plotted how to get this cocktail the entire week, but only managed to procure it on my final day, after the rest of the family had left and I had time to putz around the city. It's a Ramos Gin Fizz, one of the roughly dozen cocktails that they claim have been invented in NOLA. It takes an egg white and about ten minutes of preparation to achieve that towering foam with the straw balanced on top. It was delicious.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Since you live in the Greater Washington D.C. area, I believe it would benefit all of us it you were to actually have the National Bureau of Standards verify that you EXACTLY 5 feet 2 inches if we are to use you on an ongoing basis as a basic measurement unit.

1 RM
1 CentiRM
1 KiloRM

How many RM are their between the Earth and the Moon
A standard football field is X RM

Etc.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time in New Orleans. I hope to make it there some day!

alexis said...

I am delighted to know that drink exists. Maybe the laissez-faire attitude of the south means less litigiousness?

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's your former neighbor (circa 2014), J! Congrats on what looks like a fun family trip in New Orleans! Been there many times, but never took advantage of the local outdoor recreation like canoeing/kayaking. The Gin Ramos fizz is indeed a work of art. Hope to catch up soon for a walk. Cheers!