Monday, November 05, 2018

Connecting

Blogger has been eating my drafts with photos, so I'll have to rely on words alone. I'm having a terrific time on this vacation, but I had no idea that I would be so busy. School takes six or seven hours each day and that leaves time either for sightseeing or for meeting people but often not both.

On this trip, I've had the opportunity to meet people through the school and through sites like Couchsurfing that identify locals who want to hang out with travelers. I go sightseeing with the people from school, and save all my important questions for the locals. For example, how do you separate the trash? (A: It's complicated.) Is it okay to pay with a credit card? (A: Not really.) How do people from Basque feel about people from Madrid? (A: Words can't convey their unhappiness.)

I used to be someone who traveled the world, but I haven't been part of that group for years. All of my friends and family are at home are pretty settled. It has been simply delightful to reconnect with people who try out different countries like other people try out different apartments.

I'd wax poetic a bit more, but I need to get back to studying for my exam tomorrow...

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Making contact with the culture is real travelling.
I hope the exam goes well tomorrow. Does this mean that the course has ended?

de-I said...

Oooo I like that Couchsurfing site thought. Do people of all ages belong?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, I have classes until the end of the week. They just give you the test whenever the class reaches the right point.

Couchsurfing is for any age. I thought it was just for people who wanted to let strangers crash on their couch, but it's also for meeting people. I've met three interesting locals so far, all of whom spoke English. I highly recommend!

alexis said...

what a great way to be in a city and a little part of it beyond just looking at stuff.