Sunday, August 04, 2019

Weekend in the country

In the English novels I read, the gentry are always spending a weekend at Lord So-and-So's country house. There will be hunts, drinks on the terrace, perhaps some whist.

I participated in the modern-day equivalent this weekend. I had decided to avoid my parents' annual pig roast and visit early, and since they have a huge house I invited all my local friends. Three couples, two kids, and my aunt were there, and most stayed the whole weekend. We filled every bed and used the RV as a guest suite.

It felt quite luxurious to offer all my friends a free place to stay and delicious meals. (Thanks for making that possible, Mom and Dad!). It's also a luxury to sit on the back porch, drinking beer, celebrating all my friends' lives (babies and tenure and grants received), and without ever having to consider what I should be repairing right now. The only downside, compared to the country weekends I read about, was that the maid was not reliable and not once did the butler show his face. Apparently it's hard to get good help in Homerville.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Well the reputation of Estates in Homerville being what they are, I am surprised that your friends were not all whisked off by the butler to do dirt biking.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all!

alexis said...

there is something to be said about being out of your home with all those queues and triggers for the behaviors that keep us on our daily routines. I felt the same release in a holiday home in Germany on our vacation.

Bernice said...

Excuse me! Did not someone clean the house, make the beds, buy groceries, cook, do the dishes and be a tour guide for a walk in the woods? That sounds like a maid to me.