Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Cheese: still searching

Today was a rest day - no big drives or bike rides. I strolled around Burlington, ate some ramen (tasty, but not something that helped me in my cheese quest), and spent some time at a local beach along Lake Champlain. 

Lake beaches usually get a bad rap. Since I'm from the Midwest, lakes were all I knew until nearly middle school. There was a tiny sand strip, then usually lots of rocks. Maybe my memory is wrong, or maybe this one was extra nice. The waves were calm, a big bonus for someone swimming alone* and not wanting to be dragged under the sea. The water was much warmer than the mid-Atlantic, and I could see all the way to the bottom.  It was also less crowded than DC or Miami beaches.

I specially chose my dinner location because their macaroni and cheese was highly rated. Alas, while it clearly used high quality cheese,  I make better at home. However, I don't drink beer at home that is as good as what I have drunk here, so all is not lost.

*I mean, there were dozens of fellow swimmers, but no lifeguard. 

4 comments:

de-I said...

The penalty of being a good cook is the high likelihood of food purchased out not meeting your standards.

Bernice said...

I see a pattern here, "its not as good as I make at home"

Gill - UK said...

I didn't have you down as a beer drinker - I certainly have experienced that you are a 'good cook'

alexis said...

I have to second de-I and Bernice, especially since you can cater to your own specific preferences, rather than someone in a restaurant who has to aim to please people who will pay.