Sunday, August 15, 2021

Taking the cure

Friday was my Saratoga Springs adventure. This area is well-known for its mineral springs, which were used for medicinal purposes during the Victorian era. I'm all for low-priced healthcare, so I biked through the state park and filled my water bottle from a half-dozen springs. And they must be healthy, because they were all unpleasant. Lightly carbonated, tasting heavily of minerals (think rust plus a bit of sulfur). I heard that there are palatable sources elsewhere in the city, but they weren't featured on the visitor center pamphlet so I didn't got to try them.
 
The lovely old hotels that fill the town show that it was the playground for the well-heeled, and it still is. I had no trouble finding vegetarian food here, but I did have trouble finding entrees that cost less than $30.

It has continued to be extremely hot and muggy. I decided to keep my tour short and enjoy the long air-conditioned drive to Newark for the rest of the day

 

3 comments:

alexis said...

that hotel is beautiful. Ironic how muggy weather always look beautiful on photos

de-I said...

I am sure the water will be a whole lot better in Newark lol

Gill - UK said...

Your very brave trying out the local waters.