Friday, August 06, 2021

Potluck holiday

Travel to Europe looked iffy this year, so I decided to plan a vacation closer to home. Puerto Rico sounded perfect, because a four-hour direct flight got me to a location where I could practice my Spanish, avoid a covid test (with a vaccine card), and enjoy the beach. But I did book the more-refundable hotel, just to be sure.

That's looking like a good idea, because my flight out tomorrow is on Spirit Airlines. If you haven't been reading the news, that's the airline that has been cancelling 50% of their flights for the past week, due to weather/planning/staffing (who knows?) issues. My parents arrived home two days later than expected because of Spirit cancellations and there are stories of people spending days in the airport.

Every single flight to Puerto Rico from Baltimore was cancelled today, so I'm not too hopeful about tomorrow. But I have decided I want to avoid spending days waiting, so if my flight is cancelled, I plan to put my suitcase in the car and point in a new direction. I don't know where I'll be tomorrow night, but hopefully it will be neither my living room nor an airport floor.

4 comments:

Shaela said...

To be as uncommunicative as they've been, they must be facing an existential threat, don't you think?

Or, as an alternative hypothesis, this is all part of the plot of a Bruce Willis movie!

de-I said...

I agree. This is not just weather. There is something fundamentally wrong that the management is not communicating. I hope you don't get stuck. Somewhere. I suppose as you are working virtually, you can do your work from Puerto Rico as well as from your home.

Gill - UK said...

Fingers crossed that you will not be in the 50% cancelled group.
You certainly have a spirit of adventure - no defeat accepted.

alexis said...

There are very few travel packages sold for airport floors, indeed.