Thursday, February 08, 2024

A new bilingual era/ Una época bilingüe nueva


La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

For several years, I have been reading a blog written by an American in Fuengirola, a city near Marbella, Spain. He writes all of his blog posts in both English and Spanish and now I want to do the same. I can't promise that every Spanish post will contain exactly the same information, because I'm really not that good yet. And if my Spanish speaking friends see errors and want to correct me - I welcome it. This semester, my language exchange friend will be helping me with my posts, but I want to emphasize that any errors I make are mine, not his.

In January I took a official state certification exam that lasted for more than four hours and was far more difficult than my school's exam. If you pass this exam, you receive an official certificate that lets you demonstrate your language level for a job, for example. And I actually passed! I almost didn't - because my grade for the portion on writing nearly failed me. Hence, my decision for the the blog to go bilingual.
-----
Durante años he estado leyendo un blog de un estadounidense que vive en Fuengirola, una ciudad cerca de Marbella, España. Escribe cada entrada de su blog en inglés y también en español. Como me gusta lo que él hace, ahora quiero hacer lo mismo. No prometo que la entrada de español vaya a ser exactamente igual que la de inglés. Sé que algunos de mis amigos habláis español, así que cuando notéis que hay algunos errores, no dudéis en hacérmelo saber. Este cuatrimestre mi amigo de intercambio me ayudará con mis entradas. Me gustaría expresar que cuando cometa errores no será solamente su culpa, ya que cometo muchos.

En enero hice un examen de certificación que duró más de cuatro horas y fue incluso más difícil que el examen de mi escuela. Cuando un alumno pasa este examen, recibe un certificado oficial que puede usar para demostrar su nivel tanto en el trabajo como en la universidad. ¡Y aunque pasé el examen! Casi no aprobé porque mi nivel de la parte escrita fue casi insuficiente. Por esa razón, he empezado a escribir un blog bilingüe.

6 comments:

de-I said...

Bravo RM. Es buena (or something close to that)

Sue said...

Bravo. Always picking up the gauntlet.Never going away from a challenge! Atta girl

RunEddRun said...

I'm really looking forward to this! I'm learning Spanish too, but just for fun, on a phone app. Reading these posts will be a good real world test of my progress. I'm doing pretty decent at reading, but am years away from being to hold a conversation at whatever speed the other person speaks. Someday I'll find a way to simulate that too! Thanks Renee!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Ed, kudos for taking on some language learning. It takes a lot of time, but even a little bit makes trips to Spanish speaking countries (or talking to people in the US) a lot more fun.

alexis said...

I share a lot of the sentiments above, I definitely could do with a bit of Spanish brush up!! And congrats on passing the test!

A's Mum said...

Congratulations on passing your exam - What a good idea to write your blog in English and Spanish - you're definitely taking your language acquisition very seriously.