Sunday, February 04, 2024

Playing tourist

My semester of Spanish classes did not start until February, so January was an extended break. Luckily, my Aunt G came to visit and helped me fill the hours. Aunt G is a seasoned traveler, and has visited Spain many times. But she doesn't speak Spanish and had limited mobility while she was here. I told her I could act as her companion. I was thinking of the old novels from century or two ago, when well-heeled society ladies would travel and bring along their poor, spinster or widowed, relatives to carry the luggage and order the room service. Aunt G is not rich and I am not poor, but the concept still worked. As much as I could, I translated to waiters and carried groceries and navigated the metro. I even managed to communicate with the electrician when her apartment's electricity went out. It was a good excuse to revisit some of the tourist sites, and eat chocolate with churros.

Segovia, home to a Roman aqueduct, a lovely castle, and a cathedral. We took the train, which was super fast and fun, because I have only taken the bus in my previous adventures.


I don't eat at restaurants very often. During this visit, I learned the important lesson that many restaurants outside of the city center close between lunch and dinner, and if they are open, it's just for drinks. That how I ended up eating my first Burger King meal in a few decades. 
Looking glamorous together. Hopefully I fulfilled my responsibilities well enough that Aunt G will return.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like tons of fun!! I foresee a side hustle in your future… “Hey rich travels, I’ll meet you in a European country when I can make myself I understood (not Spain, forbidden to earn money there) and make your travels easier! Just pay for my delicious food and interesting cultural experiences!!”
-Ellie

alexis said...

I think you guys had a great time and I'm so grateful you were such a good niece companion! We are looking forward to having you here soon too!

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

It worked out well for us both - and we had a great time chatting as well. Super grateful to have someone help with the electrician and negotiating of the city!

Bernice said...

The electrician thing was just part of the adventure. RM is a great tour guide. I can attest to that.

de-I said...

Hmmmm 🤔 are there niece companions for Uncles?

You were a GREAT assistance for Wife!

A's Mum said...

Really useful practice in keeping your Spanish going between terms. The Roman aqueduct at Segovia is so imposing - I can recommend the book Pompeii by Robert Harris - I've just finished reading the novel and it gives an insight into the tough times aqueduct engineers faced.