Sunday, February 18, 2024

My apartment // El piso

Four chairs and three shelves now live behind the sofa.//
Detrás del sofá ahora se encuentran cuatro sillas y tres estantes.
La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

As I have written earlier, I'm pretty sure my apartment previously belonged to an elderly woman with a cat. The apartment had way too much furniture (including 11 chairs and bookshelves). There were cat toys behind the bookshelf. And it was difficult to walk because all the space was taken up by display cases for mementos. When I move, I know that my landlady will expect all the furniture to be here, so I couldn't throw it out. My solution was to take apart some of the furniture and hide it under or behind other pieces. Many of the bookshelves are still empty. Others, I use as an extended pantry or for the recycling.

I love my neighborhood, because it has little traffic and many trees. In addition, I have found two enormous parks nearby where I often walk. There are also many little spaces with trees and benches where older people sit and gossip on the summer evenings. It's easy to buy groceries because there are a lot of grocery stores. My favorites are Carrefour, which is sort of like a Target, and Lidl, where I can buy German bread. I am not very near the city center, so I never hear English spoken, although I do hear the constant yells and encouraging cheers of the people playing soccer at the sports center next door. I really like my home here and hope that I can stay for several years.

--
Como dije antes, tal y como creía, mi piso era el de una mujer mayor con un gato. En el piso hay demasiado mobiliario, como once sillas y siete estantes. También, hay juguetes de gatos detrás del vestidor. Incluso, era difícil caminar por el piso porque no había suficiente espacio libre. Cuando me mude, la propietaria esperará que todos los muebles estén aquí y por eso no puedo tirar nada. Mi solución fue desmontar algunos objetos y almacenarlos dentro o detrás de otros muebles. Muchos de los estantes están vacíos todavía. De hecho, algunos sólo los uso para almacenar comida o para el reciclaje.

Como hay menos tráfico y muchos árboles, me gusta muchísimo mi barrio. También, descubrí dos grandes parques cerca de donde vivo y ahora camino por allí frecuentemente. Además, hay muchos espacios pequeños con árboles y bancos donde la gente mayor se sienta durante las tardes de verano para charlar. Es fácil comprar comida porque hay muchos supermercados. Entre mis favoritos están Carrefour, que es como un Target en los EE. UU. y Lidl, porque tiene el pan alemán. No estoy muy cerca del centro de la ciudad y por eso no se escucha inglés nunca. Me gusta mi hogar aquí y quiero quedarme más años viviendo por este barrio.

7 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

It is a very lovely neighborhood.

de-I said...

It is great to have found a sympatico environment on the first try.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

It's nice to have the endorsement of someone who saw it in person, Aunt Adventures!

Shaela said...

Do you suppose she has counted the bookshelves? Maybe you could sneak one or two out in the night....

A's Mum said...

A little re-arrangement and the room looks more spacious - that's styling

alexis said...

you never know when you may unexpectedly have a need to display hundreds of knicknacks

One world two languages said...

¿Por qué no sentarse en un banco y practicar Español? Jjj
Pan Alemán en el Lidl? Eso hay que probarlo :p