Sunday, February 11, 2024

Two years ago / Mi situación hace dos años


In the appropriately named Historical Garden of the Whimsical // 
En el Jardín histórico de El Capricho

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

I retired exactly two years ago. When I was 35 years old, I learned about the idea of early retirement and then I worked for eleven years before I achieved it.

And how is it two years in? Amazing. I know that some people would miss their professional lives, but this hasn't been my experience. Now I have time for exercise and sufficient sleep, and when I'm sick I don't have to get out of bed. Of course, my work gave me sick leave, but it was hard not to keep working when you knew that people depended on you. I've also been able to spend more time with my parents and seize opportunities as they arose. For example, when I lived in Gainesville I was able to help clean out an apartment for my friend N´s parents in exchange for living there. That meant I became friends with them, along with meeting a lot of other new people. And of course, the most impactful change is that I was able to live in Spain, something only possible if I didn´t need a salary.

I know that I have a lot of privilege being able to do this. It was possible for me to earn enough money in the US, and the cost of living is lower here. I've also had some luck with work and with a good economy during these years. (And to live in an era where women can easily earn their own living!)  Above all, I had the luck to realize years ago that time was more important to me than money, which helped me make decisions like not buying a lot of stuff, or getting a roommate to reduce expenses. I wouldn't just say that early retirement is for everyone, but I would urge anyone to make sure that their spending is aligned with their values.

-----

Hace exactamente dos años me jubilé. Escuché sobre la idea de la jubilación anticipada voluntaria cuando tenía 35 años y estuve trabajando durante once años para cumplir ese objetivo.

¿Y cómo está funcionando esto dos años después? Genial. Entiendo que algunas personas echan de menos sus trabajos o sus vidas profesionales, pero no fue mi caso. Ahora tengo más tiempo para hacer ejercicio y dormir, y cuando estoy enferma, no necesito levantarme de mi cama obligatoriamente. Además, puedo dedicar más tiempo con mis padres y puedo aprovechar nuevas oportunidades. Por ejemplo, vivía en Gainesville y ayudaba a limpiar y organizar el piso que los padres de mi amigo N. el cual quieren vender. Por supuesto, lo más importante es que puedo vivir en España mientras no necesito estar siendo productiva.

Sé que soy afortunada por haber tomado esa decisión. Fue posible para mi ganar suficiente dinero en los EE. UU. y los precios aquí son más asequibles. Por otra parte, tuve la suerte de tener un buen trabajo y en ese momento la economía estaba en crecimiento. Sobre todo, tuve la suerte de darme cuenta de que el tiempo era más importante en mi vida que el dinero.

7 comments:

de-I said...

Great words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad it's going well!

One world two languages said...

El Español perfecto!!!
Me alegra que visitaras el Parque del Capricho, es precioso!
Nos vemos.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

¡Muchas gracias, One World! Mi amigo de intercambio me ayudó mucho con esta entrada. Y por supuesto, he aprendido mucho trabajando contigo.

alexis said...

it is always great to reflect back on changes. We sometimes grow out of decisions but definitely not this one for you :)

alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A's Mum said...

You have a very focussed life style - when you have made a decison you work towards it purposefully until you reach your goal.