Friday, November 09, 2007

The styling living room

My living room has received a dose of style. I spent the past few weekends sanding and priming and painting and painting some more. It still needs additional work, but if I write about it now, I get more then one past out of the project. Here's what the living room looked like for a few weeks:

This earthquake-inspired look lasted a bit longer than I wanted because of paint problems. I bought paint from a certain big box home store (which has "ow" in its name, so maybe that should have warned me). The colors were great, but I painted one piece and after two weeks it was quite tacky. Furniture that you can't touch didn't seem to me to be very useful. Internet searches revealed that this is not an unheard of occurrence, but there don't seem to be any good fixes. So I sanded it back down, purchases all new paint from Sherwin and Williams (because I've always had success with their paint) and started over.

And here's what it looks like now. Note the accent color of yellow on the coffee table behind the sofa. It's hard to see from this view, but I repeated it in the lamp shade over the dinner table, and I really like how it contrasts with the turquoises.

I'm pleased with how this all looks, but I think the room could use even more. There's still too much wood in the room. So the dining table is next on the list to be bathed in pigment. Stay tuned for further updates.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The natural beauty of woodgrain - RIP!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. It does brighten up the room.

alexis said...

still the wood paneling overwhelms all... that's gonna be your biggest challenge yet.

Anonymous said...

Very clever - eeking out multiple posts from a project.

stef said...

Ooo. I LOVE brown and turquoise. I think pics on the walls would help tons to reduce the wood-paneling overwhelm.