Saturday, January 26, 2008

Noodles

I've been making a lot of pasta lately. Sometime over Christmas break I got it stuck in my head that what my life was really missing was homemade ravioli. Then I discovered that pasta makers on Amazon are as cheap as $20. It arrived a few weeks ago, although my conference prevented me from putting it into action until this week. I made a batch of ravioli and a smaller batch of fettuccine. The ravioli turned out better than I expected - I used a ricotta filling which was rather runny and I had trouble sealing them. The fettuccine was awesome, and will definitely be a repeat recipe.

Today I set the pasta maker aside and am making 8 pounds of gnocci. Because, you know, gnocci in the freezer is like money in the bank. At least according to 8 out of 10 Italian grandmothers.

Can anyone recommend some killer ravioli fillings?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are the intended victims that you are going to feed on ravioli?

alexis said...

if stef doesn't know the answer to this, she's probably lying.

stef said...

De-I is the one that's into making the homemade pasta, not me! But I am a lover of ravioli. I am a fan of butternut squash. Erin of BCD recently posted a deconstructed version of a recipe that looked extremely yummy. Other than that i think Any veggie you can think of along with a little ricotta to bind it will work.(spinach or other greens, mushrooms?, etc)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stef, any good flavor combination will make a good filled pasta. Try sauteing leeks, onions and garlic with a little bit of dry fermented black beans (soaked) to replace pork flavoring

Matty Lau said...

I loved a pumpkin ravioli I had in high school. you could try making a dessert ravioli with a sweet ricotta cheese and some lemon zest (I just made that one up completely, but I'm sure there must be some recipe out there for that- can image maybe a sweet cream sauce with like a creme fraiche).