Thursday, January 17, 2008

Starting 2008 off right

Today I've stayed at home for a day of enforced reading. I've got six articles and a book, and I admit that even though I read quite rapidly, the pile is a little ambitious even for me. To entertain you while I slog through this stack of papers, a review of our New Year's Eve with Motherrocker and family. At MR's suggestion, we prepared a series of little courses. There were
only a four of us planning to be there all evening (with assorted small children and friends joining us at various times), so we didn't need quantity, just variety.

We started with a great supply of olives and nuts leftover from Christmas feasting, followed by a sandwiches: cucumber, cheddar and roasted pepper, and, um, some with meat in them.

Later in the evening we had small scrumptious ramekins of French onion soup and Champagne cocktails. (What a discovery! How could I not have known about the delectableness contained within a Champagne cocktail. It takes the delicate flavor of sparkling wine and makes it even better by contrasting it with the slight astringency of lemon and bitters, mellowed by a bit of sugar. Wow.)
Later, when we thought we couldn't eat another bite, MR brought out a plate of homemade cookies and candies, for which she is famous (I assume - they were all great).


Some of us finished off the night with video golf. What a way to welcome the new year.

6 comments:

stef said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this! That soup you made was so, so yummy. Props for the coctail suggestion must be given to my friend Jason, who brought them to my attention.

Matty Lau said...

champagne cocktails??? ooh! what's the recipe? do tell!

Anonymous said...

Matty, the recipe is pretty much all in the description: Drop one sugar cube in a champagne flute, fill with sparkling wine, and then add a lemon twist and a dash of bitters.

alexis said...

I am overwhelmed by the size of that cookie tray. Truly a work of art.

Anonymous said...

Hey stef, how come we never have champagne cocktails?

Love the picture of Andrew and John. I'm sure this what the three days of the reunion will look like. If we took half of Andrew's hair and moved it to John we'd end up with to normal heads!

stef said...

Actually, the bitters should be added to the sugar cube BEFORE you add the champagne.