Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Styling with Renee Michelle Exclusive: DIY jewelry

If you're needing some bling, but don't have spare cash, I'd like to recommend a DIY ring. Slice a thin piece of a broomstick, then drill out the center to fit. (A caliper for measuring the diameter of your finger is helpful for that part.) A few coats of stain and varnish to bring out the grain, and voila!

Broomstick rings, total cost $0.

(This is the first in a new occasional SwRM series on planning a budget wedding. And in case you haven't figured it out, that's my engagement ring, from Andrew.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a natural beauty in woodgrain, and as it's an Andrew and Renee Michelle original creation you might find you've started a trend or even an entrepreneurial opportunity! In his student days, Andrew's DF made his wife-to-be a wedding ring, but nothing as original as wood.

CONGRATULATIONS

Dr. BG said...

And I thought my $12 ring from JC Penney was cheap!

Congratulations on the engagement! I think this ring is really Renee Michelle and Andrew.

alexis said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! Congratulations dear! When is the wedding??? Am I invited?? I better be invited. Unless it's in Ohio... wait, never mind just invite me! :)

stef said...

Oh Congratulations to you both! I love the ring. Not only is it simple, gorgeous, original and personal but it carries the symbolic wedding message of the African-American wedding tradition of "jumping the broomstick".
perfect.

Anonymous said...

Jeepers, I miss your post for one day and off you go and get engaged. Congratulations. Tell Andrew I raise a large roasted animal joint and a real English Ale to him as a toast

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!! I spoke with your mother yesterday and she filled me in on some of the details. I'm looking forward to the Ohio reception in September.